Thursday, May 22, 2008

Quick week at a glance

This week has been going by really fast. Sunday we were able to attend an LDS meeting in Jinja. I always love going to church in other places besides Utah because I love to see how it is the same everywhere you go! The people were all awesome there. They even had fans on the inside of the building.

After church some of us stayed to go eat at this amazing restaurant. Jinja has a lot of tourists so the food was very Americanized. It was awesome and we all decided that it’s a good thing we don’t have that restaurant close by us or else we’d be spending all of our money there.

Monday we had our first meeting with the children with disabilities group and their mothers. The range of disabilities was large. The children were all so cute and I wanted to spend the whole day with them. When we told the parents that we would be having meetings with them once a week and that during the meetings there would be volunteers there to play with their children, they all clapped. As we left, one of the mothers there gave us two avocados and a mango. Rylee Scott is the project lead for this group, and she’s freakin awesome.

Tuesday I went to the Hope orphanage in Seya with Corbo and Les. The point of going there was to do manual labor with the chicken coops, pig pen and school, but they didn’t have enough people there to help, so we weren’t needed. While trying to find things to do instead, Les and I opened beans from their pods. It took us fifteen minutes to get enough for one dinner serving size. I can’t even imagine having to do that for a whole orphanage of children. I know it sounds weird, but it made me grateful that I don’t have to do that in order to get my food.

That night we had the awesome experience of eating half our dinner in the dark. The power went out for about 20 minutes, and the water went off for about four hours. Sometimes they just go off randomly.

Wednesday I went to St. Edwards Primary School. A group of us went up to help the teachers with their lesson plans, and to make posters for their “classrooms”. The children are now on their “Holy Break” which means the end of the term and a month of no school. They start back up next week, so the teachers really needed our help.

No comments: